Direct Debit Drama

Hey - Going through a spot of Direct Debit drama with Tymit. Basically the DD hoovered up a much bigger amount of money than was required to cover my monthly bill payment. As a result I am now in credit. As had no luck with customer service - just checking to see what is the simplest way to get the money back into my bank account. Any help appreciated:)

Hi @Noah and welcome to Tymit. If the extra amount is less than ÂŁ200, then you can use an ATM to withdraw the cash with no penalties or reporting to credit agencies. If more then you will have to contact support or use the credit to buy stuff.

1 Like

@Noah you are covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee so if you contact your bank and explain the amount was incorrect, they are responsible for putting this back into your bank and reclaiming from Tymit. This should open a case to get it resolved. This is helpful if you need the money in your account ASAP.

If however it’s not as urgent, if on Tymit Booster then as mentioned above withdrawing is easiest. If you are on regular Tymit and you aren’t desperate for the extra amount back in your bank, just wait until next month for the credit to be used. :slight_smile:

Here is the relevant guarantee item @Noah

• If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

• If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to

1 Like

Ok guys thanks for the guidance - BIG help.

I spoke to my bank and reversed the incorrect Direct Debit - as rightly covered by my bank.

Then made a 1 off correct payment.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

No problem, just speaking from experience in building payment systems, you may receive emails or messages about not paying your bill via Direct Debit or a missed payment. It’s annoying but it’s usually not the company being shirty with you, just automated messages that don’t logically handle edge cases like this.

You’ve paid so you should be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

So Tymit said the direct debit would be for X and they took Y?

Yes. The difference was significant. BUT now all sorted.

What was galling was that given this was a 4 figure error - that had blown away my monthly budget … heard nothing back from customer service for a very anxious 24 hours …

It was thanks to this forum and my bank that I managed to sort this.

I got a retrospective email from Tymit CS - along the lines … figures its ok now - no
harm done. Also asked for customer feedback:)

Tymit needs to raise its customer service game…specially on urgent stuff.

1 Like

I’m really glad you got it sorted. The Direct Debit system is really good at protecting consumers and your bank held up to their obligations in putting things right for you which is how it should be. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Wow just when I thought it was over - a cheeky ÂŁ10 late payment charge had been lobbed in my direction.

I am worried this will ruin my credit score.

I have written to Tymit - saying I have paid in FULL - and this is a touch unfair… lets see what happens…

Keeping all posted:)

1 Like

Can imagine how frustrating this is but can be predictable. I’m sure you will have it reversed and this is just one of those automated system issues.

Fingers crossed & Thanks for all help and guidance…

1 Like

I did set up the DD as a back up, I pay after the statement date by BACS and DD is there in case I forget to pay somehow.