Do you need a Physical Card

I currently have

4 credit card accounts
3 current accounts
1 basic account
1 curve card

But in the past 4 years I have not carried a wallet with me and only have the curve card in my phone case.
Most of my transactions are paid for by my phone (google pay) and my card only comes out if the value of the transaction exceeds contactless amount or I’m using Pay@Pump for petrol.

On holiday I take my Starling card to withdraw cash and Tymit (previously used Aqua card) for all other transactions to avoid foreign fees. I could also use the Curve card for all my overseas transactions but there is a limit on fee free cash withdrawals and weekend fees for other transactions.

So of the 9 accounts only 3 cards are used regularly but I’m forced to have physical cards by 8 of the financial institutions (automatically sending me new ones when the old one expired, Cahoot was the only one that noticed I didn’t use the card and asked me to respond if I needed to replace the expiring one which I didn’t, even though I still use the account for DD and Standing Orders).

When will we be given the option to choose to have a physical card or not, as I want to reduce the plastic I use (or don’t use in this case), more institutions should have virtual cards that can be managed via App?

1 Like

It comes down to acceptance. As much as in our daily lives contactless is common place, that was born out of Europe along with EMV chips for security.

USA is still lagging behind in terms of card technology adoption.

Card companies make money when you use it, to a degree, so it’s a small cost to them to issue plastic if it means many people who still carry plastic can always use their card. Also, some people just prefer it.

Choice is great for consumers, but not so much for card issuers if it could mean their card can’t be used or another card may be used instead of theirs.

I would just keep in mind that many cards printed now are using recycled plastic and if you suddenly had to make a trip abroad or needed a card, you’d wait days for it to arrive. For this reason, I think it’s a small annoyance to ease of use.

Maybe one day Tymit can add a flag to your account to not automatically issue new plastic? :credit_card: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes that would be good, though at the moment it will be my main card for travelling unless they start to charge fees :smile:

1 Like

Let’s hope not! I’m about I book a trip on it and will then clear it before taking the trip and will be using it all over. :slight_smile:

I plan to take some photos to start a Tymit Around The World thread :earth_americas::airplane::beach_umbrella:

1 Like

I think dozens is the first provider I know that is doing “virtual first”. You get a virtual visa, then have to request a physical card if you want one. Makes sense to me

1 Like

Revolut has offered virtual cards for a long time now along with virtual disposable cards. You have to order physical cards if you want them.

1 Like

I know I may be in a minority here, but there are times when we go out “phone free”
(Remember going out :rofl:) and enjoy the peace and quiet.
So for me at least, having a physical card is important.

1 Like

I was the same Ivan until I bought an Apple Watch. But I still carry plastic almost always. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I very rarely take my wallet out the house just use my iPhone or Apple Watch can’t wait for Tymit to have Apple Pay

2 Likes

It’s handy when you take a car for an MOT then realise you’ve left your wallet at home!

Personal experience? :wink:

I once went to a supermarket did a little top up shop rushed to the self service checkout put my hand in my coat pocket to find my mobile wasn’t there I was about to walk out empty handed when I remembered my watch had Samsung Pay!

1 Like

Yep, not just once either! :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, especially if I’m abroad.

1 Like