Who should be paying for Xmas?

Hey everyone :wave:

You may have caught Tymit in the news recently :newspaper: :eyes:

We did a bit of research into how much people plan to spend this Christmas, and our results threw up a few surprises.

But one in particular got us talking :speaking_head:

So I thought, why not put it out there and see what our community make of it?

We found Xmas hosts are going to spend an average of £427 on everything from food and drink to entertainment… :turkey::poultry_leg::wine_glass::christmas_tree:

But 43% of guests plan to pay nothing towards Christmas and leave it all to their hosts.

2020 has been a tough year for many people’s finances, which is why this :point_up_2:
has turned into such a hot topic :fire:

So, what’s the best way to avoid awkward silences round the dinner table?

Let us know :ballot_box:

• Guests should definitely pitch in financially.
  • Guests don’t have to pay - they should just offer to bring something.
  • Hosts invite their guests to dinner out of generosity - they aren’t expected to pay / bring anything and shouldn’t have to.
  • Hosts should discuss it with their guests first and ask them to either chip in or bring something.

0 voters

Really interesting one @Oisin

My large family love to host, and my fiancée and I are always invited to spend it with them. Mum usually bulk buys so much food, too much booze, and board games - but she insists it’s how she wants to share her joy of Christmas.

We take a bottle or chocolates, but this is just engrained as a thing we do when we visit other’s homes I guess.

The cost of Christmas has so many hidden spends! We are paying a large sum to hire a car to get there and back when trains aren’t running, and presents for new partners being welcomed to the family whom we have met all of 30 minutes… it all adds up but I’m just happy to see everyone enjoying themselves.

Where are you spending Christmas this year? :santa:

1 Like

@jase - I know, it’s a pretty surprising stat.

So far, it looks like most people voting come down on the side of guests not having to pay but bringing something. That’s kind of been the norm for me. I think a lot of people would be disappointed if their guests arrived empty handed, but they probably wouldn’t say anything out of politeness.

And chipping in financially is an interesting one, because it’d require us to be a bit more upfront about money than perhaps we’re comfortable with. But maybe more people will be open to having that conversation this year, seeing as finances have taken a hit.

I’ll be travelling home for a fairly small Christmas with family this year. And like you there’ll be way too much food and booze, as well as our customary row over a boardgame! (Scrabble gets pretty tense at our house :boom: and Monopoly has been banned for 20+ years :no_entry_sign:)

I reckon we’ll all chip in in some way or other, but as I’m doing all the cooking again this year :man_cook: I might just invoice my family after. That’s fair, right? Could be worth another :ballot_box:

1 Like

@Oisin - Prepare that invoice! I couldn’t cook my way out of kitchen if my life depended on it.

Monopoly of any other similar games have been banned since my sister got Game Of Life one year, which my parents thought was a liberal Monopoly. Instead of buying property you had cards like “You just got pregnant, collect maternity pay and move to the hospital!” She was 14.

You’re right about the open conversations about money, I think many of us feel it’s changed and isn’t such a big stigma. Time will tell.

1 Like