Would you pay for a credit card?

Hi community,

Would you pay for a credit card?

I have 2 cards I pay a yearly fee for. 1st Amex Platinum & 2nd Virgin Atlantic Rewards Mastercard.

I travel (did) a quite a bit and the benefits I received from the cards out weights the fee’s. However, on the next renewal, I think I might drop the Virgin card.

Cheers,

Jon

No, they make enough money as it is, paying for credit cards is an outdated concept but something they seem fine with in the US, Amex especially. Fewer and fewer merchants accept it in the UK anyway.

With Amex you’re less paying for the card, you’re more paying for the benefits like insurance/concierge/airport lounge passes etc.

Credit card companies make basically nothing over here on merchant fees compared to in the States where those reward cards are actually rewarding because of those fees.

You do get a lot of benefits with the Amex card especially of an Amex Offer aligns with something you were going to buy. Amex’s acceptance is better than I thought it would be to the point I do not have to go to my fall back card often.

No, I wouldn’t pay for a credit card. Unless the benefits outweighed the cost- and even then I would seriously think about ditching it. There are so many other credit cards to choose from that you don’t have to pay for. I ditched Tandem after they started charging.

No, I would never pay for a credit card. Not interested in ‘rewards’ either. I just require one with decent pay back period, low interest and good customer service.

If whatever fee I was paying for gave me something in return of equal or greater monetary value over the course of my usage (travel insurance, cashback, breakdown cover, reduced or eliminated fees, points, and so on) then absolutely.

But I am the sort of person who pays their card off in full every month so I never pay interest on my card.